Monday, August 24, 2009

Rockingham County Food Makes Front Page of News and Record

There was a great front page article about Rockingham County's upcoming online ordering system for local food in today's (Greensboro) News and Record. http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/08/24/article/virtual_farmers_market_in_the_works Pretty exciting stuff for us to make the front with color photos of chicken eggs!

Sean is spending the night tonight so Tim made a kid-friendly dinner of local angus burgers, our first time eating the beef we bought from Sandstone Farms. It was very good, made all the better by just-picked heirloom tomatoes. Dinners at our house are very meat-centric so I have to go heavy on veggies, fruits, and grains for breakfast and lunch. Although Tim loves to raise his vegetable garden, he doesn't really like to eat veggies. Strange but true.

I'm now watching Scooby Doo with Sean and having a glass of Chateau Morrisette cabernet. It's made in NC but isn't the closest winery to us. I bought this wine during a shared birthday weekend with Shanda, a friend since the 4th grade, and Cecil, her husband. It's a nice, drinkable (read: not too tannic, fruit forward) wine but I'm sure it's too expensive to be drinking on a no-special-occassion Monday night. That's the good part of my buying wines on a vacation-- I have no memory of the cost of each bottle. I'd like to drink local wines since there are a couple of wineries within 20 miles of home but the prices are so high. I know start-up costs are steep. At this point, I don't think there is a good answer to finding reasonably priced local wines for everyday consumption but this calls for more research and more wine tasting :-).

Allergies kicked my butt after hanging around the pond all afternoon yesterday but I am beginning to notice a difference in the way I feel. I've also been taking my vitamins, (especially D, Alison), on a regular basis. I feel less tired and I'm sleeping better. I'm also making it up to the 4th floor without stopping now. Oh, I still pant and gasp for air, but I can keep moving all the way to the top. My lunch time walks pep me up for the afternoon. While I walk, I'm listening to The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand on my MP3 player.

No comments:

Post a Comment