Friday, August 28, 2009

Belly Breathing

I went to my first Yoga class last night. I don’t bend the way I used to! And the extra inches on my thighs and roll of fat on my abdomen got in the way on some of the poses. So I just did the best I could and kept on going, knowing it will get better as I get thinner and more in shape. A lot of life is like that: do the best you can and keep on going. I liked the class. The instructor (Tabitha at Murphy Street Yoga in Madison), flows from pose to pose effortlessly and talks her students along. I was out of whack with my breathing but she says it will come and the important thing is just to breathe. Yoga requires belly breathing, opposite of what I (and I think most of us) do normally. By the time I spent an hour stretching and focusing on breathing and did the relaxation part at the end, I felt so de-stressed. I went to bed at 10 PM and slept so well last night. Who needs Ambien? Doctors should prescribe Yoga before bed instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment